Welcome...

The ROWBERRY One-Name Study actually covers many variants, such as my own name RUBERY. In fact these are the two most frequently found variants today, closely followed by ROBERY, ROWBURY and RUBERRY. Others still extant include REWBURY, ROEBURY, ROVERY, ROWBERY, ROWBORY, ROWBREE, ROWBREY, ROWBURREY, RUBBERY, RUBBRA, RUBRA, RUBREY and RUBURY.


Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A cliff-hanger!

Well I suppose all of you who have been looking at this Blog will have given up by now, thinking I had abandoned it for good! Not so, but this year has been a very busy one for me in many ways, leaving the minimum of time for family history, which was expended on the day-to-day running of the ROWBERRY One-Name Study, and there just wasn't time to keep the Blog updated.

My apologies to anyone still left out there along with a promise to try harder in future!

There are many stories to tell in order to catch up, but here is a timely one to start with.

Towards the end of July 2007 Marcus Gray sent me an email with the Subject "Tracing a Rowberry" which began:

Hi, Polly Rowberry,

I was wondering if you might be able to help me?

I'm trying to trace a David Rhys-Rowberry who would now be in his sixties or maybe even older.

No suspicious motives: I'm researching the life of a pedigree cat (of all things) for a magazine article, and the records show that Mr Rowberry and his then partner Elisabeth Coombs were the cat's owners back in 1965, at which time they lived in Hampstead, London.

The cat was a pedigree Blue Burmese named Procul Harun and was the inspiration for the name of the band Procol Harum best remembered for their hit Whiter Shade of Pale.

As it turned out I was able to help Marcus and the resulting article is being published on the Beyond the Pale website to celebrate its tenth anniversary. But as it is, as its title suggests, a tale of "wondrous complexity", not to mention "scholarship", it is being loosed on the world in episodes. Today has seen the release of episode two, which ends:

My searches also throw up Nicky Rowberry’s 'Peasants to Puddles' family history site. Rowberry is not a common name, apparently, and has strong links to the Hereford area. As Hereford abuts Wales, that might explain the ‘Rhys’ and perhaps even the location of Ian Marchant’s meeting with Ash. There’s no mention of a David Rhys-Rowberry on the site itself, but I e-mail Nicky David and Elisabeth’s details along with an age guesstimate. She can’t help, but suggests I try another Rowberry family historian named Polly Rubery …

This is the first (and probably the last) time that I have ever been a cliff-hanger!

Enjoy the tale (or should that be tail?)!

No comments: